God is full of Surprises!

Today marks two years since I arrived at the House of Prayer. My journey to this place has been filled with unexpected and surprising grace. In the winter of 2017, I was in the process of planning a time of sabbatical and renewal, following a most painful and difficult moment of my faith/life journey. I had this empty two weeks in my schedule that I needed to fill, and I was searching for a place to go for an interim time of prayer and rest before beginning a 40-day Silent Retreat.  As I was trying to decide what to do for this time a thought flitted through my head… “What about that House of Prayer in Fort Qu’Appelle?” It came out of nowhere as I had no connection with this place. I now am convinced that whisper was the Holy Spirit herself! I had no idea how coming here would impact my life!

As I began my time of sabbatical in the U.S. my father fell very ill, and I had to return to give my attention to him. This, of course, meant cancelling, rearranging and rethinking my entire time of sabbatical so I could be closer to my father and tend to his needs. Glenn graciously accepted to let me come stay at the house of prayer earlier than expected for an extended time of three months.  I am very grateful he took this risk on someone he had never met.

Upon driving on the property for the first time to meet Glenn and see the Prayer House I had my own personal “visitation” experience!  Something deep inside me leapt for joy, and my heart raced!  It is difficult to put into words the inner experience at that moment! (And I hadn’t even yet gotten out of my vehicle). Thus began three glorious, healing, life-giving months in solitude and silence exploring the wilderness of my heart and of this beautiful property and valley!

My whole being resonated immediately to the style and rhythm of the celebrations of prayer, the natural beauty, the silence, the simplicity of the sharing, and the charism of this place…My heart felt at home here…It was healing balm for my soul!  Very soon I began to feel a call, a prompting to explore what it could be like to live and work here.  Again, the Spirit at work! My head would quickly shut it down assuming it to be an impossible pipe dream. I lived and struggled for two and a half months with this sense of call, and the impossibility of it all!  This inner push never went away, it only got stronger and I could not ignore it! 

It seemed that God was asking me to take a leap of faith, do my part, express how I felt, then step back and let the Spirit take over.  It was a lesson in surrender that I will never forget!  I have discovered, there to be no greater joy than to move out of the way so that God can do the impossible.  One by one, all the obstacles began to fall away, and believe me, there were many!  With no effort from me, the doors began to open, all those things I thought were impediments to my being here fell away! My original two week plan became God’s plan and has extended two years. Only God knows where this will lead.  

 Photo by Chantelle Bonk
If there is one lesson I have learned in my journey, it is that my future is not mine to plan.  My life is not my own. Giving over (or at least trying) the illusion of any control I thought I had in my life has led to grace upon grace. I could not have created this scenario in my best and wildest dreams.

 I continue on here to serve, giving back at least a little bit of what I have received!  Each morning when I open the door to go outside into the early morning, my gratitude for all I have been given overflows.  A chance to come home to myself, to heal, to befriend the hills, the animals and the people here…to find peace!  Happy Second Anniversary to me and the Spirit!                                  
                                 Chantelle

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this very personal journey Chantelle. It touched me deeply, and was a strong reminder that I need to let God be God. But a little voice in me says, "What if my plan is not God's plan? My hopes, my dreams not his for me?"

    It is then that I need to remember the depth of God's love for me, the love God shows me each day in such wonderful ways. God who alone can bring me to the fullness of life, here and in the life to come. To stay free within myself and leave room for the Spirit to lead and guide me, one day, one moment at a time.

    Your story, Chantelle, reminds me to trust, and to wait. I needed to be reminded that God acts in mysterious ways that are not always our ways. Your words have been a blessing for me today. May you continue to be richly blessed.

    May you continue to be a blessing in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith for your sharing. So sincere and encouraging. May you be blessed with the graces you need at this time. I pray you find the deep inner freedom you so desire. Shalom!

      Delete
  2. Dear Chantelle,

    Dear Chantelle - Happy 2nd Anniversary at Qu'Appelle House of Prayer as it quietly celebrates its silver anniversary in these "interesting, times."

    I recall two years ago the "rightness" of your being in the valley when we, David, Karen & Rose, were serving, and later, being so happy that you were staying longer with Margaret, Glenn & the Holy Spirit at the House of Prayer.

    Thank you for sharing so openly two years ago and again so openly today why it's important to let God's plans unfold, to allow them to unfold in joy. Thank you for answering God's call, in so many ways, in the ways Now. Much love and thanksgiving for YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen and Dave! I so fondly remember your presence here when I first came for my time here! Your joyful and prayerful presence were a gift to me! I hope there is an opportunity to see one another again in the future! Thanks so much for your kind words!! Shalom!

      Delete
  3. Happy 2nd anniversary Chantelle! We are so glad you got the calling and actually accepted.
    Great experience for you. I am sure 2 years has gone by quickly,
    And many more to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words! Yes it has passed incredibly fast! Shalom

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your story, Chantelle. As I read it, I heard echoes of my own times there.
    The House of Prayer is so appropriately located in that coulee in the Qu’Appelle Valley. Amidst the hills and lakes and reconnecting with the Legend of Qu’Appelle, the Divine call resonates. As sages and seekers we come, asking “Qu’Appelle” – who calls? And deep within we recognize the echoes of the Love that calls to fullness of being.
    Happy 2nd Anniversary – and blessings of many more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Jane! Looking forward to seeing you out here sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The following was received from long-time friend, Emil Kutarna. Emil is married to Eleanor; they have two children, Chris and Kristin, married to Craig, parents of Maiella and Keating. Emil was ordained a Catholic priest 60 years ago and served in the Archdiocese of Regina until his marriage on October 9, 1971 in Holy Rosary Cathedral. Heartfelt thanks to Emil for his words and permission to share them.

    Dear Chantelle,

    My name is Emil Kutarna. I have met you a few times at QHP, probably not long enough for you to remember me among the many you meet.
    However,

    May I add my blessing and congratulations on your second anniversary at QHP. I read your beautiful faith story today, the Feast of Corpus Christi.
    One sentence hit me right between the eyes, “Your life is not your own”.

    I am 90 years old, and I’m reminded every day that in many ways my life is not my own. It is frustrating when I can’t do the things I was able to do when I was younger – like simply opening a bottle of milk. The comics in the morning paper were part of my breakfast. Not anymore. My eyesight now won’t let me read.

    But when I ponder the idea that my life is not my own, my whole world takes on a new meaning. If God is Love, and Love is in control, then I know that all is well now, and will be well the rest of my life. All that I need to do is trust, be thankful and enjoy the precious gift of another day in God’s marvelous creation.

    This meditation on that one simple statement is going to change my life. I have you to thank for sharing your story, and the Spirit of Love for directing me to it.

    I feel it in my heart that this is no accident.
    Once again congratulations, and THANK YOU,

    Emil

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chantelle, I am glad you were able to be still and let the Spirit do the arranging. You are adding your gentle soft imprint to the House of Prayer. Thank you .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Qu’Appelle House of Prayer – September 3, 1995 - 2020