An Easter Story: A Surge of New Life

This Lent I discovered there is something even more contagious than the coronavirus, and that is the generosity of heart of so many people! I would like to share the story of Hector Augusto Garcia Rodriguez a young medical student in Peru, who was at risk of having to leave his studies because he was unable to pay his medical study debt, and the outpouring of love that enabled him to continue to pursue his dreams. For the past month, we at the house of prayer have been immersed in this Easter story, a story of new life rising from apparent hopelessness.

This project began because of a simple conversation with one of my sisters in Peru (I am a Sister of the Presentation of Mary) who spoke to me of Hector and his situation. His story disturbed me profoundly. It is the story of so many, yet now this story had a face and a name that I could not ignore. So, I decided to take a risk and put out Hector’s name and face to others and see if they too would be disturbed and moved in the same way I was.  The moment I wrote my letter of request regarding funds for Hector, we became sister, brother, neighbour, and family, for one another and Hector.  An image to me of the Body of Christ. 

And the family grew!  Some of you spread the virus of generosity on to others by sharing the story! In the end, we were approximately 60 people who donated. No masks, no social distancing!  You embraced it and shared it. Because of so many of you (some of whom I have not even met) our hope to help our brother Hector continue his medical studies is a resounding success. As of right now, we have paid off a large debt that Hector incurred as a result of the coronavirus shut down in Peru. He has had no income for the past year, and the government is offering no aid package! There was trouble finding money to eat, let alone tuition. If this debt had not been paid by April 1, he would not have been allowed to continue; he would have had to walk away from his studies.

But the news does not end there!  As a result of your generosity we were also able to purchase a new laptop for Hector!  This gift coming to him in the nick of time!  As with so many other places, Hector has had to do his studies online. Imagine this, his computer is so old it was not functioning properly, it was literally at the end of its life!  Just last week, when as he was “in class” the screen turned black and that was it!  Hector was working blind!  However, we were able to purchase a new computer for him, and it was delivered to him just this past Saturday (March 27)! Is that not Providence at work! When April arrives and Hector begins a new semester we will also be purchasing his textbooks, a dissection kit, and some new clothes for when he begins working in the hospitals.


When my Sister went to deliver the computer, she saw that Hector and his mother really had nothing, and since there was enough money, they will purchase some new sheets for their beds, and give them some money for food. I can hardly imagine. 

Most importantly, this is the gift that keeps on giving!  Hector is committed to working for the poor, and helping others continue their dreams as we have done for him. Yes, as Jesus said, we will always have the poor with us, but we can never forget they are family.  I cannot thank each of you enough for your contributions!  They have changed lives….” Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” (Matt. 25:40). And that my friends is about the best Easter story we could ask for! 

Hector wanted to express his own thanks to us, so when his computer was delivered, he recorded this message to us from him…I think his face says it all!  (see translation below). Also  See video attachment also sent with this message.

Translation of Hector’s message: (Not perfect, but the best I can do!!)

“Hello, Sr. Chantelle and my friends from Canada!  Thank you very much! I have just received your gift (the computer)! I am so grateful for all you have done for me and for this beautiful gesture you have made on my behalf. The truth is that only a few months ago I was very worried about how I would be able to continue my studies, and now, voila, thanks to God and to all of you and your collaboration I have an instrument (computer) to continue my studies and also the money to pay for my courses!

I am deeply thankful, and I do not have the words to express my gratitude, because all that you have given me is very important for me and I hope that when I become a doctor I will continue on with this mission, I will continue with my colleagues to help others who wish to become professionals like me.

I hope to be a very good doctor and accomplish all my goals and dreams in the future.  I thank you for helping me to do this and assure you of my affection toward you.  So, in the future you will receive news from me, how my studies are going in my journey to become a doctor. Thank You Very Much!”



God of day and of night, of life and of death, we place our whole world and ourselves into your holy hands.  Shalom, salaam, shanti, peace…. Blessed Holy Week and Easter to all. Chantelle


Some other pics for your interest sake...

This photo shows Hector with his mom (middle), the woman on the far right is a Sister and dear friend from my community who has been working with me on this project on the Peru side. She and her sister (far left) have taken on the task of receiving the money and paying off Hector’s academic debt, and searching for a good and affordable computer as well as all the other things he needs.  They purchased and delivered the computer at their own risk, as they felt where Hector lived it would be too dangerous for him to go out because of the virus. 



 Outside their home...the only bit of greenery around!


 






Hector and his mother outside their home.

Comments

  1. Chantelle, as a pebble thrown into a pool, your Sister sent out word of Hector's need and that of his family, and the ripples spread far and wide to meet the need. Each of us can also be a pebble in our own way, making the presence of the Risen Christ alive and active in our own lives.

    THE LORD IS RISEN! HE IS RISEN INDEED! ALLELUIA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter Chantelle! Christ is risen indeed, and his people living his message of love and service show his Holy Spirit a'movin' all over this world. Alleluia! Thank you so much for sharing Hector's story.
    Blessings to you all at Qu'Appelle House of Prayer as we enter 50 days of feasting on God's love, and more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

God is full of Surprises!

Qu’Appelle House of Prayer – September 3, 1995 - 2020